Check out the one of a kind tamale tray + an easy & delicious bean and cheese tamale recipe
Who doesn’t love the classic combo of tacos and margaritas? Look no further than De Nada Cantina. A newer restaurant in East Austin that has quickly garnered a reputation for its delicious interior Mexican food and crazy-strong margaritas. The colorful and vibrant interior matched with the playful beer-branded decor make you feel like you’ve been transported to Mexico City.
It was a no-brainer to partner with De Nada’s head chef Nick Barrera to come up with the vibrant Poco x Clay Tamale Tray that accentuates and complements dishes. Barrera pulled inspiration for the tray from his childhood memories of making tamales at his grandma’s home in El Paso. The familiarity of ceramic combined with the freshness of the design introduce a new way to present and eat meals.
Chef Barrera can’t wait to plate his signature bean and cheese tamales with mole sauce on the tamale tray. Load it up with as much sauce as you want, the raised edges make for a no-mess solution to your favorite saucy meals.
Want to make delicious tamales at home? Chef Barrera came up with an easy bean and cheese tamale recipe for the family.
Bean and Cheese Tamale Recipe
Tamale Masa Mix Ingredients:
- 6 Cups Maseca flour
- 2 Cups Vegetable Crisco
- 2 Tbsp Baking powder
- 2 Cups Tap Water
- 1 Tbsp Kosher salt
Tamale Masa Mix Directions:
- Mix all dry ingredients, slowly add water and fold in Crisco until desired texture.
- Meanwhile, place corn husks in warm water to rehydrate them for later use.
Bean and Cheese Tamale Ingredients:
- 1 Tbsp De Nada Refried Beans
- 0.5 oz. Monterrey Jack or Oaxaca cheese
- 2 oz. Tamale masa mix
- 2x Corn Husk Sheets
Bean and Cheese Tamale Directions:
Place the masa on the corn husk, with your fingers or spoon spread the dough evenly on the husk to create a blanket.
- Add beans and cheese to the middle of the blanket, and fold in the sides towards the middle, creating a pocket like form, then wrap the husk around the dough to seal it off.
Bean and Cheese Tamale Cooking instructions:
- Using a steamer or water bath, place tamales evenly standing up and cook/steam for 1 hour.
- Add more water to the steamer if you need to cook longer.